Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tragedy

Disclaimer: You may have noticed that I have a slight weakness when it comes to posting things of an editorial nature [i.e., I can't stop myself]. This is one of those times.

Now, I know this news is going to come as a shock to you, but I can't think of a way to cushion the metaphorical blow, so here you go: The English language is dead. You can read its obituary here.

To think that I dedicated my college career to the study of the English language for it to meet such an untimely end. Talk about a waste of time and resources.

Let's grieve, friends. [And by grieve, I mean let's have a nice little chuckle at Gene Weingarten's snarky joke.] You are now reading a tombstoned, obituaried language. Moment of silence, please.

RIP, English.

2 comments:

Mimi Collett said...

I know I'm supposed to laugh, but it actually made me sad. So many native English speakers really have no clue. And I'm not saying our language is perfect. In fact, it is often ridiculous, but that doesn't make learning its intricacies any less fun!

One battle that I'm tired of fighting: fewer vs. less. No one says fewer anymore. I'm not sure why. I blame it on grocery stories and their "fast lane." I think that hypercorrection might be to blame as well. Those poor people who try to sound smart but actually sound dumb to smart people and smart to dumb people. Between you and me, you know what I'm talking about. ;)

Holly said...

Your comment made me laugh. Mostly the second paragraph--the smart/dumb difficulty so many people find themselves in. I agree with you about the first paragraph, too. The fun about English is its intricacies. And knowing them makes seeing people's mistakes that much more enjoyable.