So before I tell you what I've done to myself, I'm going to tell you about the vow I made.
A bit over three years ago I got my hair cut in a bob, which was my way of celebrating my last big haircut. As I was getting my hair cut, I made myself the promise that I wouldn't get my hair cut short again until I had a baby--as in, in my arms, not just in my womb.
So why the vow? Well, I love having short hair but wanted to try long hair. However, I don't usually last longer than a few months of growing my hair out before I'm done and get it cut. Unless I have a goal. Then I have a vague end date in mind, so the irritable stages of hair growth are manageable. My last goal of this nature was made during my freshman year at BYU when I decided I'd grow my hair out until I got married, expecting it to get very, very long, since I had no intention of getting married before I was 25. Yeah, I got married approximately a year later, maybe not even a year.
So this time I thought, what's a good milestone to use for this next hair growing experience? And then it came to me: a baby! I'd just graduated from BYU, so Sam and I were ready to add #3 to our happy family of two.
This goal was made back in the days when I thought I'd be like all my friends and get pregnant within two months of quitting The Pill. [You'll notice, M.C., I didn't use the term trying to get pregnant, since I know it makes you feel awkward and I'd hate to alienate you. Do you even read my blog? Anyway. There's my shout-out to you.] This meant I'd have approximately a year to grow my hair out, which was more than enough as far as I was concerned.
You might have noticed we don't have a baby and it's more than three years later. This little vow of mine, and how stubborn I can be, is Heavenly Father's idea of a joke. I'm almost positive He's laughing about it.
Anyway.
So I've been very patient about it. I've cut off about three inches total in the last 3+ years, mostly to even out my hair, which was in somewhat awkward layers from the bob. I've been a very good girl.
Then when we applied and were approved for adoption, I decided the vow didn't entirely apply to me anymore, since I would not be growing a baby in my womb. Actually, I decided the vow was pretty much finished, since it was sort of like tempting/taunting Fate as well as somewhat discouraging to me, since it was a reminder of everything I wanted but didn't have.
So . . .
Here's how long my hair was last weekend:
I think you know what's coming next.
| Yes, this is my hair as of last night. Love! |
Isn't it ridiculously cute? Ugh, I'm in love.
The best part was I made up my mind to do this almost right after my last trim (two months ago), but I wanted to make it a surprise for everyone. However, I was a little thrilled about the possibility, so I told my carpool buddy. Give me a break, I'm trapped in the car with her two hours a day three times a week and it was news I was dying to spill. Of course I faltered.
The point is, no one else knew. No, not even Sam. He was pretty shocked. [i.e., he was staring at me all night] But he likes it. And I love it. As I might have mentioned.
And p.s., don't judge the pictures. They were my first attempts at the whole using-a-mirror-and-camera-on-your-phone-to-take-a-picture-of-yourself business everyone seems to be doing nowadays. Also, notice the faces. These come from my incapacity to smile normally for most pictures, especially ones I take of myself.
So now I don't look 12 anymore, right? I look like an honest-to-goodness adult. Right? Right?
[If you don't think so, just lie. I'm tired of being mistaken for a middle/high schooler.]
And p.s., feel free to tell me how much you love my hair and how cute I look. Thanks.
xoxo
We've been approved for adoption! Check out our incredibly awesome adoption profile at https://itsaboutlove.org/ial/profiles/24950903/ourMessage.jsf.
10 comments:
I think you look like a rockstar!!! I also think you're incredibly brave. It's not everyday that somebody sits in my chair while I proceed to cut off 10 inches without so much as a flinch!
I totally read your blog! Thanks for thinking of me in your choice of wording ;)
And I absolutely LOVE your hair. I can't wait to see it in person!
Haha. As soon as I read the title of this post, I KNEW you had gotten your hair cut. It does look fantastic. I thought your long hair was gorgeous, too. I know how much you love short hair though, so I think your new look is perfect. And if it makes you feel better about people thinking you're younger than you are, I'll share this story. Two months ago, someone actually thought Jeff was my father instead of my husband. I don't know if that means I look REALLY young or if Jeff looks old. Haha. Either way, it's no good. You look great!!!
Ohemgee! For cute! I just found your blog through A-Row's, and I'm so glad I did! Your haircut is adorable! I love it.
Also, I do think Heavenly Father has a HILARIOUS sense of humor, the kind that no one gets until way after the fact. You know what I mean?
Way to break a vow with a bang!
Teehee. You're so sly. I love it. And you.
"Trapped" in the car, Holly? Trapped? Really?
I am wounded. Note my blog-worthy tears:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuINSveDYMJCrJ5ByHfrKeh97CtaUwhX2wMmZSoJqFWIoQtuLv
Ok, so maybe those aren't my blog-worthy tears. But now don't you feel terrible for making Obama cry?
I love it! Very cute. I'm one of those who prefers short hair. I'd love to try growing my hair out, if I actually had the hair type to do so. But, alas, my thin, fine hair does not do justice to long hair. I'm already antsy because my hair is a few inches past my shoulders, which is much too long in my book.
Anyway, love the hair and yes you do look like a grown-up. (People seriously mistake you for a 12-year-old?)
Holly, I have seen several of your haircuts over the years. I have to admit, this is one of my favorites! Your haircut is very stylish and very eye-catching. I love it.
I do love it and I do think you look like an adult - though I thought that before, too. It is probably the most flattering hairstyle on you - you are gorgeous!
Post a Comment