Monday, February 16, 2009

25 Random Things

I did this for Facebook and didn't want my hard work to go to waste, so here it is:

RULES: Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 20 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it's because I want to know more about you.


(To do this, go to “notes” under tabs (+), paste these instructions in the body of the note, type your 25 random things, tag 20 people (in the right hand corner of the app) then click publish.)

1. I'm like the little girl in Signs. If I have a glass of water and don't drink all of it right away, I'll never finish it. There's always about two inches left in any cup of water of mine. Either because I can see the dust on the top or because it tastes gross or who knows what else. I'm pretty OCD like that.

2. I LOVE to write. I've been writing fiction stories ever since I can remember. I have 10 stories (book-length) that I've finished and 25 that I've started, am rewriting, or currently writing.

3. One of my top pet peeves is the your-you're mix-up. I can't STAND it when people make that mistake. I mean, how hard is it? Your = it belongs to you. You're = you are. It's not rocket science.

4. When I was in high school, I probably had over a hundred pairs of socks--most of them with frogs or turtles on them.

5. I organize my shirts by color alphabetically (you know, black, blue, brown, green, pink, etc.), then by sleeve length (short sleeve to long sleeve).

6. I can eat a bag of carrots like most people eat a bag of popcorn. I inhale them.

7. Everything I have that can go in alphabetical order, is in alphabetical order. I don't understand how people find things otherwise.

8. A few months after I got married, I got sick of long hair (long meaning slightly past my shoulders), so I put it up in a ponytail and chopped it off a little before the elastic. And it actually looked cute.

9. I love Disneyland and Disneyworld. I think that if you take the easy-going, ready-to-have-fun approach, they are two of the funnest places in the world.

10. I practically live at the library. I'm there at least twice every week.

11. I don't like hanging out with big groups--I feel like the interaction is forced and someone is inevitably left out. I'm all about just spending time with two or four really good friends. It's funner and more meaningful to me.

12. I think I wore a sweatshirt every single day of high school. Looking through my yearbook, I'm slightly ashamed of how almost every single picture of me--minus the professional one--involves me wearing something unflattering with my hair maybe-maybe-not brushed. Now I understand why my mom said once, "And you wonder why boys never ask you out, Holly." :P

13. I really, really, really like High School Musical. And I'm kind of embarrassed about it, but not enough that I could refrain from owning the first two and seeing the third one in the theatres. Twice.

14. Sam makes me smoothies all the time, and I LOVE them. They're the best ever.

15. I can be tired all day, fighting not to fall asleep, but when nine o'clock hits, I'm WIDE awake. It drives Sam CRAZY.

16. I HATE talking on the phone. And I almost never call anyone back because of it, unless it's my mom or a select few of my friends.

17. I don't like shopping just to shop. I like to go into a store with a purpose, quickly achieve that purpose, and then leaving as fast as possible. Window shopping drives me crazy. Christmas shopping with Sam is always kind of stressful for both of us, because he LOVES window shopping and just looking around the different stores and I DON'T.

18. I have more pajamas than I could wear in a month. And that's AFTER weeding out the ones I didn't really wear ever.

19. I am willing to suffer extreme amounts of pain if it means I look cute--especially when it comes to cute shoes. But if Sam and I accidentally bump heads? The world is over.

20. My dream job would be a librarian. I LOVE books, and the idea of spending all day surrounded by them? Heaven. Hence why I kind of want to live in a library and/or have a library in my house one day.

21. Even though shoes are one of the only things I'll willingly spend money on for myself (that and books), I love being barefoot. I'd never wear shoes, ever, if I could get away with it.

22. I have serious issues with the fact that there are other Hollys in the world. I always really resented other Hollys in school, because I liked being the only one. And it was really hard for me to be nice to them. My payback for this resentment and prejudice is that my mother-in-law's name is Holly.

23. I don't like being the one talking--I like listening. Sam has been teaching me about these strange things called "conversations," which involve him saying something and me responding, and going back and forth like a ping pong ball. It's hard work.

24. In high school I was kind of accident-prone when it came to gym (example: my first day of volleyball freshman year I got hit in the face by a spike and my nose bled so bad that I had to throw my shirt away), so I took things like rec swim (which sometimes involved nothing more than floating on mats all class), bocce, and walking. No lie.

25. I edit/proofread EVERYTHING I write, from my stories to text messages to emails. Sometimes I'll rewrite an email or text message five or six times before I think it's good enough to send off. And I don't abbreviate, even if typing the whole word out takes twice as long as it takes to type the whole rest of message. And I wince every time I see something like "u r" or "4" instead of "for." It honestly makes me shudder.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever published one of your books? I'm going to start writing a bunch of short stories about my childhood, as part of a writing group, and I'm way excited to do some real writing again for fun. It's been since high school for me.

I'm totally with you on the "u r" and "4" thing!

Holly said...

I haven't yet, but I want to. That's my project for the year. The only problem is taking a break from writing to get a query letter and everything together. :P

Anonymous said...

Yeah. I have a cousin who has a children's book written, and it's really good, but she's never taken the time to get it published. I hear it's a lot of effort.