Monday, May 9, 2011

Fin, the not-so-fluffy puppy


So, I wouldn't exactly say it's getting hot around here, but the humidity usually makes it feel about 20 degrees hotter than it actually is. I think you know where this post is going, if you read the title.

As Fin is a rather fluffy and fur-laden dog, we feel pretty bad for him when it gets up in both temperature and humidity. We've been meaning to get him groomed but haven't really gotten a good recommendation from anyone, so Sam decided it was a good DIY job, as we conveniently have hair clippers. [Whatever the electronic buzz thing is called. My mind went blank and Sam's on the phone, so I can't ask him.]

Sam needed to cut his own hair anyway, so he did, and then he embarked on the adventure of cutting Fin's fur. Here is Sam with his beautiful DIY haircut:
He's cute, huh? I like him a lot.
As Sam is not a professional, the job he did on Fin was not perfect, but it's pretty dang good--particularly as it was his first attempt/offense. And now you can tell what size Fin actually is, since with all his fur he looks enormous. [People are always guessing he's in the 80 to 90 lbs range when he just recently cleared 60.]

Isn't it so funny how he sits? The only time he was really interested in sitting on his haunches was just after he got neutered. I guess it hurt to sit like this in those painful days.
I'm not sure which photo shows off his cut better, so I included them both.
Isn't he so cute? We saw another Goldendoodle at the dog park yesterday with a very similar cut (except his was professionally done), and it was disconcerting how much they looked alike. The other dog was a bit bigger, but other than that they could have been twins. I kept forgetting which dog was mine.
And since we're already talking about Finners, here's a nice showing of how much he's grown since we got him:
When he was just a tiny guy
Last month sometime
 Crazy, huh? I can't believe how much he's grown.

And then this is funny. When we first got Tangled (which, let's face it, we got the day it came out even though we did not have a car at the time), we watched it and of course Fin was roaming about the living room. Well, you know the part where Maximus has caught up to Rapunzel and Flynn and she's treating him like a dog and telling him to sit? Fin totally responded! He sat when she commanded Maximus to sit and did just what she said. It was so funny! I sort of got a picture of it, which is below.
As you can see, he was absolutely glued to the TV for quite some time. It was really hilarious. I just wish we'd been able to catch it on camera.



7 comments:

Me said...

reminds me of when Bebe would get her hair cut and her little nub wagging lol.
Amanda

Angela Kelly said...

I love this!! And I am completely impressed by Sam and his hair cutting ability. I remember back in the day helping my mom cut my dog's hair, but he was a tiny dog, Fin is huge!! The girls miss him. I love his haircut, and Sam, you look sharp too!! Love the story of Tangled...that is one of the favorites in this house, and they always laugh at that part because she's treating him like a puppy.

Amanda S. said...

If this foreign service thing doesn't turn out great for Sam then he has a pretty sweet back-up job which I think he'd be a natural at: pet groomer. Yessss. Not bad at all! Fin is a funny dog!

Mimi Collett said...

The haircuts are fabulous. And haha that is a funny way for Fin to sit!

Barbara said...

I LOVE LOVE Fin! He is SO so adorable and so cuddly! He has gotten HUGE! Pups are the best aren't they? Too bad we don't live closer, Fin and Cody could be playmates!

Merry said...

I really like that Fin responded to the commands in "Tangled." That's great.

Margaret said...

This post makes me super puppy hungry. Not to eat them, obviously. If you have to go out so far that you can't bring Fin, leave him with us! :)