Anyone ever had half-awake adventures/scares? I did this morning. And I think it's pretty funny, so I'm going to share it.
So this morning, somewhere around 3:00, I sort of half woke up. This was, I thought, due to Sam getting up to go to the bathroom. [This in itself should have tipped me off; I never wake up during the night unless there's a deafening fire alarm going off, and even that can take a while.] A minute or two later [or so it seemed] I thought I heard him cry out, like he'd hurt himself or something.
I was a little worried, so I contemplated getting up and seeing if he was ok. Before I could make up my mind if my love of and concern for Sam was greater than my desire to stay comfy in my warm bed, I heard heavy breathing in the room. As I was fairly sure Sam was in the bathroom, someone breathing in the room besides me was fairly alarming.
Then the thought occurred to me, "Someone broke into our house and hurt Sam! That's why he cried out! And now whoever it was is in here and I'm going to die!"
[Note: All of this, from when I thought Sam got up to this point, took about 40 seconds, I think. Possibly even a whole minute.]
Well, I was working up to getting really nervous [working up to due to me being mostly asleep] when I shifted slightly in bed and felt Sam next to me. I think I gave a gasp of death [which, if you've ever been around me when I get really excited about something all of a sudden, can be rather frightening] as my heart lurched, which of course woke Sam up, since he's a fairly light sleeper. He also may have awoken because my gasp was accompanied by my limbs flailing, which of course connected with his sleeping form, sort of like a sneak attack.
I'm not sure if we mumbled anything to each other, since those details are a bit fuzzy, but it was so disconcerting, since I guess I dreamed the whole thing, even though it'd felt so real. Weird. And then when I woke up and remembered, I just laughed. Talk about funny.
Anyway, on a completely different note, I just made the connection today that if iTunes has audiobooks it might have ones I'm interested in having forever (e.g., Goose Girl, the Chrestomanci series, Howl's Moving Castle and accompanying companion novels, Sabriel). This would be particularly exciting for the Diana Wynn Jones books, since they're not exactly available in the U.S. it seems like. And has iTunes failed me? Indeed it has not! I now know what my future iTunes giftcards will be going toward. Shazam. If only it offered the Queen's Thief series, my life would be pretty much complete.
And please, no comments about how I'm a little slow if I've only just come to this realization about iTunes + audiobooks. Thanks.
xoxo
We've been approved for adoption! Check out our incredibly awesome adoption profile at https://itsaboutlove.org/ial/profiles/24950903/ourMessage.jsf.
7 comments:
Yes, I've had similar nighttime happenings. Why is it we always assume the worst when we hear a sound in the middle of the night?
Also, I am glad to hear you like Goose Girl. A friend of mine just gave me her copy, and I'd never heard of it. I now look forward to reading it. Right now I am reading Austenland by that same author.
Over Christmas break we were sleeping at my parent's house. I had a half awake moment as well. I stood up on the bed yelling at Abigail to not move, because apparently she was on the invisible shelf directly above the bed. I couldn't get her to stop moving, so I stomped on Jayson, and he politely reminded me that I was asleep as I screamed at him to help our daughter. And that is just one of MANY sleeping adventures with Angela.
I have several funny stories. One that cracks me up is when Gary and I were staying at our sister-in-law's dad's house in CA. This was before children, so we were sleeping in one of their daughter's rooms and I got up with my fairly normal sleep walking and went into a full on run and slammed right into a desk they had. It was so loud that everyone in the house heard it. I had a few bruises on my thighs from it. Gotta love those kind of stories! Thanks for sharing :)
I have this problem all the time! It's called sleep paralysis. Basically, you release something that paralyzes you in your sleep so you don't act out your dreams. But if you wake up in the middle of that transition, you have similar symptoms. It is really terrifying sometimes. I make it sound more horrific than it actually is, but you should look it up from someone with way more authority (and knowledge). :)
Sam's side of the story:
I was sleeping quite peacefully when I rolled over on my side towards Holly she had just done the same so our arms touched and then...GASP OF DEATH. Half scared to death at Holly's reaction to me simply touching her and half dead asleep. I mumbled "sorry" (as scaring Holly is the 8th deadly sin in our household) and then went back to sleep. Reminds me of the time I had my arms around her while sleeping and she woke us both up by yelling "let me go, let me go, let me go".
Dave and I do all kinds of funny things in our sleep. Well, it's usually funny to one of us, and the other one wakes up annoyed. Most recently, I apparently rubbed Dave's arm in my sleep, which woke him up. He wasn't annoyed, he just turned over and returned the favor of rubbing my arm. This woke me up, and I very rudely grabbed his hand and removed it from my arm! He was so confused.
All of those thoughts would have scared me, too. :)
One of my friends gave her husband a black eye while they were both asleep. That was awesome. To me. She was embarrassed. Haha.
And that is fantastic news about iTunes!!
Post a Comment